Street Social Work, Maintainer: Hungarian Evangelical Fellowship
On the basis of the agreement with the 5th district council, Oltalom Charity Society has accepted the task to look after homeless people within the 5th district. The street social work in the 5th district and the work of the Heated Street functionally complement each other. The social workers and administrators from the Night Shelter and different winter crisis shelters, the Heated Street, heated public rooms, communal kitchen and the health care system are working together to get information on the lifestyle and living patterns of the homeless people so that we can coordinate our street social work better.
Thanks to our two and a half years of experience more and more people on the street trust us and accept our help and social assistance in our institutes!
Since 2005 beside the two permanent social workers on duty, their colleagues on call also assist when needed.
During the crisis season we visit the most endangered clients twice a night. We often have difficulty finding them since they regularly change the places they stay. In 2006 we worked with 200 different people; we usually met with 50-60 people daily.
We distributed blankets, sleeping bags and a one-course meal from our Communal Kitchen. During the year we transported some people in a bad state of health into the Oltalom’s recovery room. There they receive a meal three times a day and also get medical attention as needed. Anyone who requires hospital care is transferred into public health institutions by Ambulance.
Sometimes, in spite of our best efforts, some of our clients-especially those permanently on the streets-disappear.
The continuous operation of the Social Ambulance and the possibility to use the recovery room and the 24-hour medical attention is a tremendous help for our work.
The target group of the street social work in the 5th district:
Our work includes the following:
- Fact-finding, surveying, making “maps” of the mental, physical and health state of the homeless clients.
- Picking up contact with the clients of Dankó 9 and 15 (for the sake of prevention) and with the homeless living in deserted buildings. The goal is to estimate the need and the state of these people and to find ways of collaboration.
- Advising, problem solving, mobilizing of the client’s own resources, answering their questions as they emerge.
- Assistance in kind, making use of the social ambulance, organizing the transportation of the client into a social or health institute, fill the fundamental physical and mental needs (food, medicine, clothes, blankets, etc.).
- Administration, beginning with simple provisions, obtaining documents, providing representation, assistance in job-hunting, making connections with lost family members, friends, etc.
- With individual case management we try to enable our clients to accept fundamental help, institute norms and standards of living together; to keep their environment in order, to respect and help others.
- In case of emergency our service transports the client into our health center or by the ambulance to hospital.
Our work is supported through the Oltalom Charity Society. We are in daily contact with our colleagues at the social and health institutes of Oltalom Charity Society and our work includes collaborative team discussions and supervision.